Monday, August 30, 2010

Almost home...almost...

My plan of going home today failed. Would you like to know why? I'll tell you!

Thunderstorms. Road work. Incompetent city officials.

I was planning on driving home at about noon and then I found out that the weather forecast had changed from rain to pouring rain and thunderstorms. All day. I figured I could handle that but then things went from bad to worse. Our street has accidentally been torn up by the city of Rexburg and is closed because, surprise, surprise, Rexburg ran out of tar to resurface the streets. So now half of the town's streets are closed and the rest are left for the general traffic to push the rocks into semi-adequate "streets". Hmmm...this sounds familiar. Oh wait, that's because this SAME EXACT THING happened last year! How one man can manage to accidentally tear up half of the streets in a city and run out of tar two years in a row is beyond me. It doesn't completely surprise me though, because I've met this man before and he really is as dumb as he sounds.

Anyway, when I called to ask this guy when the streets were going to be done. I told him my address and he said, "That street isn't under construction." I said, "Yes it is. I am out of town right now but I have a friend watching it for me. She was not able to drive on our street because it is blocked off, so she had to park on the next block and walk to our front door." This is where it gets bad. He said, "Well maybe she wanted some exercise." I laughed and said, "Are you serious? That can't be what you really think. If she wanted exercise why would she park three houses down and walk and then make up some story about how our street is closed?" Then he suggested that "Maybe she has the wrong house." So apparently my friend not only wants exercise, but now my mail is being delivered to another house and my house key mysteriously fits another door. What an idiot.

So, I decided against driving up to Rexburg alone only to park on the next block and move everything back in during a thunderstorm. I might go up tomorrow, but now I'm thinking I might just wait till Friday night since I have to come back on Wednesday anyway. I just want to go home!

On the bright side, I did a load of laundry. I was hesitant to do my laundry because the only available detergent is Tide and I have NEVER had good luck with that. I convinced myself that I was being silly, that I should do the laundry and get it over with. Wrong choice. RJ's tan shorts are covered in what looks like bleach and I have NO idea how that happened. I even double-checked the bottle. No bleach. Meh, hopefully it's not on anything else. Also, almost all of our whites got burnt in the dryer. I'd say it was a successful load of laundry...

Now I am sitting at home refusing to do anything else but read and watch TV with RJ because I'm nervous that something else might happen. Sound paranoid? Probably. But It's better to be safe than sorry! =]

No comments: