Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Boys

I often see pictures of my friend's children intently watching a movie, or I hear stories about how they will want to watch the same show every single day.

What? You mean it is possible for an [almost] 1 1/2 year old to sit still and watch a movie? Hogwash. I don't believe you.

The only time that Blaine comes even remotely close to sitting still is at night, right before bed, when I turn off all the lights and give him some milk to calm down. And even then he is constantly wiggling around on the couch.

He loves playing with sticks, mud puddles, and garden hoses. Whenever a door is opened he books it to make it outside. He is constantly digging through his toy box, kitchen drawers, or whatever purse that he can find laying around. He runs. He climbs. He is almost always guaranteed to have dirty feet, food on his shirt, and a smile on his face. He's exhausting, but so much fun.

I was never this type of child, at least according to my mom. I was clean. I sat still.

When Blaine was born I was nervous to have a boy because I had no idea how to change a little boy's diaper. Then as he started to get older I had to learn how to push cars around and pretend like it's fun. I've slowly become more and more relaxed about the whole dirty issue. However, I have NOT gotten used to bugs yet.

Blaine loves bugs. He is clearly all boy.

I like looking at most bugs because I do think that they are pretty interesting looking...as long as they are out of my house. But I especially don't like it when those suckers decide to fly away, taking me by surprise.

The other day RJ found this really huge leaf bug walking around on the sliding glass door. I was safely on the other side of the door, away from any surprises. It was fun to see such a fun bug so up close. BUT THEN RJ decided that, as the mother of [soon-to-be] two boys, I needed to learn how to hold said bug. Um, what? I went outside, deciding to be brave. Apparently Mr. Leaf Bug did not like me getting so close (and who can blame him, really) because he flew away getting all up in my face. I literally ran away screaming and waving my arms, leaving RJ behind me laughing hysterically.

So embarrassing.

I hear it only gets worse, too. My cousin found a dead frog in her coffee cup the other morning, and my old boss emptied her son's pockets on laundry day to find a live lizard.

This is why I married a boy scout. Blaine and all future boys will have plenty of bug catching, puddle splashing, outdoorsy type of fun with him and I can stay within safe, enjoyable distance.

*Side note: I do, actually, really enjoy pushing cars up and down the hallway with Blaine now.


1 comment:

Controlling My Chaos said...

So cute, Natalito. I'm with you on the bugs. Ick.