Monday, November 8, 2010

Midterms, Promotions, and People that Irritate Me

So these past couple of weeks have been eventful.

I just survived midterms with a 6 A's and a B+. That B+ makes me mad because my teacher, who claims she is working towards her PhD in test writing (if there is such a thing), ALWAYS has errors on her syllabus, tests, and quizzes. For instance: on one test we took the question said, "Write vocabulary strategies besides the ones previously mentioned." (That is a direct quote, by the way, I'm looking at my test.) Well, she had given us 8 in class and mentioned 6 so far, so I wrote down 2. Well, I didn't get credit on that question (nor did anyone else in the class) because we needed to write down 4 or more. I think even a child could see what's wrong with that scenario. We were not told to write at least 4, and we were not taught about more than 8! Here's another example of why I hate that class: last night's homework said to read an article titled "Comprehension PRF" and make notes on it. Well, there is a problem with that. We read a book that she abbreviates to PRF that has a chapter called "Comprehension" but on our class website there is an article called "Comprehension PRF". I read that one. I read that entire 11-page, more-boring-than-dirt-article and made notes in it. Turns out she meant to say chapter, not article, and she also meant to take that "PRF" part off of the article title online. Dang it. So, now I have a B+ and it drives me crazy because I always do the homework and prepare for the tests and quizzes, but she's so vague that everyone ends up doing the wrong thing and we still get docked! Mah.

In other news, I got a promotion at work. Although I still work in the Housing & Student Living Office helping panicked freshman find a home and idiot students realize that when a hold says "No local address" that means that they need to tell the school where they live, I now get something else to make my day crazier...I mean better. Now I work with the Mediation & Arbitration Office to collect late payments from students. It's a pretty challenging job, but it's an honor to have gotten the promotion. It's really stressful though because I have a ton of due dates and what not, and almost 300 managers that I have to work with. My boss went in for surgery on Friday and won't be back until Wednesday so she gave me a page-long list of things that need to get done before she gets back, and it's pretty difficult to get all of that done when I am by myself in the Housing Office for an hour and a half every afternoon. It seems as though everyone likes to make phone calls at the same time, and that time is specific to when I am the only one answering phones. Just my luck.

Who is ready for more stories about people irritating me? I'll give you one.
Today I went to print off homework before class. I was already cutting my time short but there wasn't a line for the printer. I ran up to the printer, slid my card to charge the money to my account, and hit print. Well right as I hit print a girl ran up to the printer, which doubles as a copier, and began copying her lesson plan! Her lesson plan was 4 pages long and she was making 30 copies and having the machine staple them. Oh. my. gosh. Well, even though my account had already been charged she hit start before the printing started and it canceled my print job AND broke the printer. She looked at me and said, "I hope you weren't planning on printing anything. This might take a while." No, I just like standing by the printer all day. It's one of my hobbies. So I had to run through today's blizzard to a different building and print my homework. Please note that some idiot in the parking lot sprayed slush on like 5 people -including me. What moron goes 40 mph in the parking lot when it's a literal blizzard. So I print my homework and make it back to class and turns out it's another one of my teacher's errors. The homework isn't due till Wednesday. I was not a happy camper.

RJ and I are hoping to take our family pictures for our Christmas cards tomorrow, but that's if the snow lightens up enough to let the sun out! Keep your fingers crossed! Also, we are all registered for our last semester of classes, I've started my process for my master's, and we are all set to graduate in December. Victory!

No comments: