Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pushing Forward

I love the 4th grade. I was so scared at first since I am used to the younger grades, and I will admit that it is a hard adjustment, but I absolutely love it.

I wish that I could spend hours talking about every single student and all that I have learned so far. I would share stories, little quirks, behaviors, and tender moments. I am very blessed to have 30 special 4th graders to spend the next 12 weeks with.

I feel bad almost, because I think that I am learning more from them than they are learning from me. Every single one of my students has something beautiful to share, even if they are having a rough day. I might be teaching them how to divide or how to define matter, but they are teaching me so much more, especially more about myself.

Just to clarify, the names I am going to use aren't real. I feel ridiculous using a disclaimer on my personal blog, but hey, I have to.

During recess today four girls decided to stay inside and go to the library. I don't blame them, the weather was awful outside and I would have wanted to stay in, too. When they came back they all had the same set of books. For the last five minutes of recess we read poems from A Light in the Attic. Our favorite was "Homework Machine." These girls all have great smiles and laughs, and it was so nice to take a step back from my day and read poems with them.

This afternoon when I was teaching science "Matt," as usual, shared his incredible intelligence with the class. Science is his favorite subject, so naturally his hand is raised every other minute. My personal favorite comment today was when he answered a question about mass and followed it up by saying, "DID YOU KNOW that there is 1,000 lbs of atmospheric pressure on our shoulders RIGHT NOW?!" I couldn't help but smile as everyone in the class reacted to the comment and our discussion shifted a bit. "Sean," trying to have his own statement as well, followed up by telling us all that he knew what causes a headache.

They're great.

I have been trying to get to know my students really well, and this is what I've gathered so far:
-T. is a total flirt. His favorite line is, "What direction can I walk you ladies down the hallway?"
-A. has a big crush on J., who doesn't mind the attention.
-J. drinks more chocolate milk than anyone I have ever met. I guarantee that, if given the chance, he would drink chocolate milk with every meal.
-S. loves poems!
-T. loves green pencils. Only green ones though. I brought her one today and gave it to her right before she got on the bus.
-When J. takes her snow coat off she always gets her zip-up jacket stuck to her coat. When she puts her zip-up back on it always goes on backwards.
-K.'s favorite question is, "What is the answer to # such and such?" He asks, then tells me his answer and how he got it. He just likes affirmation, which I'm okay with.
-S. loves doing homework and helping her classmate's finish their homework. She is a teacher in the making.
-J. loves to invent things with his dad.
-H. is the "coolest kid in class" with his Converse shoes and he will battle to the end to prove it.
-T. admitted today that his favorite topping is hot sauce and that he puts it on everything. He also admitted that when his mom isn't looking he puts sugar on top of his pizza. A couple of other kids agreed that sugar is "better than cheese!"

There are 30 students in my class so I will given them their time one by one, but I hope that gives you a good chuckle for now.

No comments: