Today was my first day in the elementary schools and it wasn't exactly what I expected it to be. I had envisioned a perfect scenario in the classroom, and the reality is far from it.
First of all, the size of the school is incredible. This is by far the largest elementary school I have ever seen. It is the second largest in the state of Idaho and has 150 students short of 2,000. It's a brand new school, and this school year marks it's second year in operation. There are so many different hallways and classrooms that it was a bit hard for me to find my way this morning, but I made it. When I found my class I stepped into a room that was in absolute shambles. The kids were crazy, the teacher looked like she was at the end of her rope, and I was standing like a deer in headlights in the doorway.
On the plus side, the kids are fantastic. They are seriously lacking personal motivation and self-control, but they are such great kids. One thing is for sure, I will definitely enjoy my time with them.
Grandma, this story is for you: When I came in this morning I thought I had never seen such a rambunctious group of children. Keep in mind there are 30 of them, so it is a big class. There were a couple of boys wrestling in a corner, two boys arguing about being "more cool" than the other, and one boy telling everyone the joke. This is his joke:
"There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't."
Get it? Half of the kids didn't get it, so he would say it over and over again until they got it or walked away. He is too funny. He was laughing harder and harder every time he told the joke.
I will keep you all updated as the semester progresses! I should have some interesting lunch time stories since I was assigned to hall duty during lunch period. I'm not sure this is entirely legal since I'm not faculty, but it will be fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment