I like being prepared. I didn't want to take the chance of having Baby E before my mom gets up here, and I didn't want to rely on the kindness of others to bring me meals...so I made my own. I found 11 recipes that seemed tasty, and I made 22 freezer meals. Yeah, I said it...I made 22 meals. I might have gone a little overboard, but it was fun.
There is nothing I love more than dumping a bunch of ingredients in the crock pot, smelling the tasty goodness all day, and then enjoying an easy meal at dinner. I figured that making these easy meals ahead of time would be even easier for a new mom. So that's what I did. And I am happy.
I spent $87 on 22 meals; that's $3.95 a meal. Plus, we'll have some leftovers for each meal. So really that's a little more than 22 meals. That's what I call a bargain! I'm sure that if a super-couponer ever heard me say that they'd laugh and say something along the lines of being able to make a meal for $1.18, but whatever, I'm proud of my meals. I'm also proud that I braved Winco on a Saturday afternoon to get all of my ingredients.
I really hope that I like some of these new recipes; but if not, at least it's an easy dinner for RJ to help me with, and the clean-up will be fast and efficient. I have now listed three things that I love: being prepared, fast, and efficient. This is a triple whammy, people!
Would you like to know what I made? I'm going to tell you anyway:
-Chicken and Rice Casserole
-Baked Cajun Chicken
-Southwest Chicken Wraps
-Chicken Enchilada Soup (this is one of our new favorite things in the entire world)
-Lasagna
-Teriyaki Chicken
-Spaghetti and Meatballs
-Tomato Macaroni
-Shake-and-bake Chicken
-Taco Pasta
Side note: I do not want to hear about the carb-overload. I just don't.
I did my research and found out what was good to freeze, and what isn't. So some of the recipes in my freezer aren't quite complete yet, but I have the ingredients ready in my cupboards. For example, I rice isn't good to freeze. I put all of the other ingredients into a gallon bag, and I have the rice set aside to be added to the crockpot. It's that simple.
Oh yeah, and please notice that I put the directions on the bag. Smart thinking, huh?
Disregard how awful these pictures are.
All in all it took me about 5 hours to make everything, but that's also because I made a few bone-head mistakes that I won't tell you about. It was a lot of fun, though, and I am definitely going to do it again!
No comments:
Post a Comment