Thursday, December 6, 2012

8 Months Old

When Blaine was a newborn I had the intention of writing monthly blog updates to keep track of his progress. Obviously that hasn't happened, BUT I have been writing everything down. Every month I've written him a letter that goes into detail about what he's learned, what he likes to do/eat, sleeping habits, clothes size, etc. and then I stick a picture in there with him in a white onesie. Every month I've taken a picture of him laying down and then one of his face, and a couple of months ago I added a picture of him sitting up too. Last month, though, I could not get him to lay down and stay still long enough to take a picture so I think I have to give up on that idea. I guess it does show true progression, though.

Blaine is getting so big so fast! He's perfected his army crawl and there is no stopping him now. He still rolls a bit, but nothing like last month. It's hard to do anything now because I always have to watch him to make sure he's not getting into trouble, like playing in Lola's water bowl or ripping up a magazine or something. He loves, loves, loves to eat and he's started to prefer finger foods over baby food. His new favorite foods are animal cookies and cheerios, but carrots still hold a special place in his heart. He's just started to learn how to wave and clap, and he turns off the light switch for me whenever we leave a room. He hates being put on his back, so changing his diaper is not a fun experience. We moved him into a "big boy car seat" at the beginning of September and it has made riding in cars SO much easier, but he still does not like long trips. When we're driving down to Salt Lake he decides that he has had enough by the time we reach Ogden and by the time we've hit Bountiful he's screaming. It's rough.

I used to be so scared of taking him to the grocery store with me because I wasn't sure if I could handle a baby and shopping, and after one mishap in the store [he ate my list....] on our very first trip I'd like to think that we've mastered shopping together and now we have a great time. He loves riding in the cart with his cart cover, and he is always talking to people and smiling. He also loves being outside and being in his stroller.

He has two little teeth and my mom is convinced that more are coming in. He got them at the same time and they didn't bother him one little bit, which was nice. He likes to bite me with them though, which isn't as nice.

He loves sleeping at night, but he still wakes up 2-3 times a night to eat. He's sleeping 12-14 hours now and takes about 3 naps a day. His morning nap is usually 1-2 hours, and then he has two 30-45 minute naps later in the day.

He's wearing a size 4 diaper during the day and a size 5 at night, and his onesies, pjs, and most shirts are size 18 months. His pants are mostly still size 12 months because he is ALL torso and has short legs in comparison. He's definitely an Evershed.

On an extra note about clothes, I have been letting Blaine help me as he's getting ready for his bath. He is an expert at taking off his own clothes which I thought was really funny at first. Now it's just not practical. He won't keep hats, gloves, shirts, socks, or shoes on.

Also, since we've been staying with my parents, Blaine has started imitating our dog Caleb. I'm not quite sure how to describe the noise Caleb makes, because all I can think about saying is that it sounds like a friendly growl...but that just doesn't quite cut it. Whatever the sound is, he does it when he wants someone to pet him and Blaine makes it back to him. He also is good at controlling when he sticks his tongue out at people, and does it now when people do it to him first.

I have pictures, but they're on my camera and I don't have enough time to upload them right now. Blaine is sleeping and I have to get as much done as possible. Usually I use this time to nap, but I can't afford a nap anymore =]