Once upon a time, RJ and I were supposed to graduate in December 2010. I did. He didn't. Due to some unfortunate set backs in his classes, he was postponed. Again. And again. And again. And now it's the Fall 2012 semester, and we're still here. But that's besides the point!
I still walked at the December 2010 commencement ceremony because, dang it, I worked my butt off to get there! However, I hadn't technically finished all of my classes. At that point we figured it would only take an extra semester, maayyybbeeee two at the most for RJ to finish. I decided that getting a teaching job and getting set up in a classroom wasn't worth it. Have I mentioned we're still here? Hmph.
At the time I had a great job working on campus, so I decided to postpone my student teaching until Fall 2011 so I could take some fun classes for two semesters and keep my job. I decided that I wanted to learn how to sew, because I'm domestic like that.
Lucky for me I met my super fantastic friend Whitney in my first sewing class. It was fate. We're craft buddies, game buddies, and buddy buddies now.
Also lucky for me, I found out that I love to sew. So I took 4 sewing classes total; I even took 3 sewing classes in one semester. It consumed my life...and my paycheck.
I learned how to do all sorts of nifty things, starting off from the very basics: a pillow case. Looking back now I laugh at how proud I was of my silly little pillowcase, but at the time I felt mega accomplished. I followed the pillowcase with pj pants, then a dress shirt, a skirt, and somewhere down the line I learned different home decor projects, slacks, children's clothes, RJ's favorite flannel shirt (I matched up all the plaid. BAM!), a cute little jacket, and a gazillion other projects that I loved.
One, in particular, was my favorite. The blessing dress. This was the final project in my children's sewing class, and this also happens to be the (second to) last final stab at defiance against Sister Miller. Not only did I refuse to look through her idea book of past student's projects, use the nasty material that she said was the "only way to go" with this project, but I didn't even use her pattern. In my defense, she brought this upon herself.
Whitney and I went to JoAnn's Fabric and deliberated over buttons and fabric for what felt like eternity. She decided on Dupioni silk, and I chose a white satin with a lace overlay, and little white rose buttons for the back. I was in love with my bag of fabric, and I was so excited to get started. The next day I started cutting out my pattern pieces for the dress I had dreamed up, and Sister Miller walked over to tell me that I was making a big mistake for using satin and lace. Something about how disappointed I'd be if my future daughter ruined it, because it'd be hard to clean. I told her I'd take pictures as soon as I put her in it, and got back to work. She didn't like that. Oh well.
When I finished I was so proud. So, so proud. But then I thought, wait a second, what if I have a boy? I thought that maybe I should make an outfit for him too while I was already in the class, but I was taking 2 other sewing classes at the time and it was finals week. I had no choice but to postpone the idea in my head.
Then I got pregnant. And had a boy. Figures. I had every intention of making Blaine a blessing outfit...but then he didn't sleep at night. I decided I'd buy him a shirt and make pants, a tie, and a vest. Then I had issues with nursing, so I settled on making a tie and a vest. Then he still wasn't sleeping and I figured that a tie would work, that it would still be special. But then I couldn't find a ding-dang outfit that I could just add a tie to, so when my mom found a sweet little outfit for him I gave up. I called it special since it was from Grandma and Grandpa, which really does make it special.
And then, for no reason at all, I started to feel guilty about my beautiful blessing dress patiently sitting in my Baby Boy's closet. I decided that I would sell it, so that I wouldn't even attempt to use it for my daughter. I asked my neighbor if I could borrow her beautiful little girl and use her as a model so I could sell my dress on Etsy.com. I had every intention of putting it for sale tonight.
Then I saw her in the dress and my heart melted. There was a little girl in my dress that I made. That I fought for. That I spent hours making the roses, and then sewing them to the belt, which I attached all by hand. I remembered being terrified to serge around the seems of the sleeves, and Sister Lammons (the BEST sewing teacher of all time) sitting to the right of me saying that I was being a sissy, that I knew how to do it; and Whitney was on my left saying, "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I can't believe you're not practicing first! Oh my gosh, oh my gosh..." I remembered carrying it around on campus and freaking out if anyone got near it, for fear that it might get ruined.
My dress was on a baby, and I loved it. I told RJ that I couldn't sell it, and he agreed. I still want to use it, and it might give Blaine a complex, but I'll deal with that later. Or maybe I'll just lie and tell him that I made his too. Who knows.
I might be a little biased since I made it, but I think it's fantastic.
I love the scalloped bottom of the lace, and the slight puff to the sleeves. I even love the arm band, which you can't see and doesn't really even have anything that special about it.
All I can say now is that I hope I have a girl.... =]
PS: This is my one and only moment of bragging, so don't bring me down.
7 comments:
So this means that you can make my wedding dress!!??
This dress is beautiful Nat!!! :D
That dress is so pretty! I wish you had made Callies!
You are so talented! There is no way I would sell that dress if I made it (although I'm sure you could get a lot of money for it). So pretty!
You are all too nice! Thank you!
I'll make anything for your wedding. What else are best friends for? =]
Just have another baby girl and I'd be all over that! haha
Oh I feel so special! And I miss you guys. And I love your blessing dress and can't believe you were going to sell it! And I love mine too, favorite project! And thats it!
Post a Comment