Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My life is too chaotic for my own good...

Yesterday was Tuesday which means I have to wake up super early. Awesome. I woke up at 7 AM (torture in and of itself) for my Children's Literature online discussion. I missed the discussion last week where they apparently picked out books that we will be reading for the entire semester. My group picked all of the worst books off of the list. So I went through my discussion, then ran to the office and made it there at about 8:50. I submitted my paperwork and was out the door at 9:05 -I have never done my paperwork so fast, but I was in a hurry! I had made two appointments for Elk Grove City Hall for two of the guys in my office and asked RJ if he could meet them at 10 and give them everything they would need for their fingerprint and background checks. Well, as I'm on my way to Sacramento I get a call from this guy Lew. Lew wants to go with Mike and Akoni to city hall. I told Lew that he couldn't, that I had made an appointment for him for another day, that he knew they could only go two at a time. Lew wanted to go anyway. So I called RJ and asked him if he could grab Lew's stuff and bring it to him as well. I made it to MY appointment on time to get my fingerprints and background check done for the shelter, and was out of there at 9:50. I drove down to the shelter for my first official day! No parking. Of course. So I had to park in the parking lot next door for a towing company! I just decided to keep my fingers crossed that the irony wouldn't bite me in the butt and my car would be okay. So I sat down in the backseat and answered a phone call (I miss my phone ringing for fun things. Business calls suck!) and I slipped on my tennies instead of my flip flops. (Side note: my phone is ALWAYS ringing, getting a text, or getting an email that has something to do with work! I'm not even exaggerating when I say I have a new notification every 5 minutes.) I ran inside, signed in, got my name badge, and slipped into the child care room. I helped the kids make mother's day cards with their hand prints, it was really super cute. Everyone was really nice to me.

There was a new mom at the shelter and she was white, but she had this beautiful little black baby boy. His name is Christian and he is 7 months old. There are a lot of white women with black babies, it was a little strange to see, I'm not going to lie. Anyway, we went outside with the kids and I was holding Christian because he obviously couldn't run around. Some of the other mothers came outside and saw me holding Christian and thought he was my baby! Haha oh goodness. The way I was holding him he was covering up my volunteer name badge! I kept having to explain that although he was adorable, he wasn't mine. He was really cute though, I should have just walked out of the door with him since everyone thought he was mine anyway! So I left the shelter at 12 and headed from Sacramento to the city of Lodi to pick up some name tags for the guys to wear as they are knocking door to door. The drive was going to be about 40 minutes, and I had brought a banana and a granola bar for my lunch but the granola bar had M&Ms in it and they melted making the bar awful and my banana was nasty and mushy. Of course. My only option was McDonalds. I should have just had the melted granola bar and mushy banana. I could only have a couple of bites and then resorted to just my drink. Off to Lodi I went! As I was sitting at a red light to get onto the freeway I saw something bobbing in the corner of my eye. I look out the window and what do you think I saw? A DUCK! What the heck is a duck doing waddling around down town Sacramento?! I started to laugh... I couldn't believe it. I double checked a couple of times and sure enough, it was a duck! I wanted to put him in my car and drop him off somewhere but I was afraid of bird flu and I had no idea what the duck would do once inside my car so I said good luck to him and drove away.

According to my GPS I was supposed to arrive at Lodi PD at 12:41. False. Every single street going into the police department was closed for road work. You're kidding, right? No. I'm not. I drove around for an HOUR looking for a way in and I finally found it. I was about to throw my GPS out the window because it kept saying "recalculating" every time I would turn around. So after driving to this stupid police department for an hour and 41 minutes I went inside and literally spent 3 seconds there. They handed me the cards and said, "Alright. You're good." I said, "I don't have to sign anything? Do anything else? Really? You're just handing them to me?" She looked at me rather strangely so I just turned around and walked out to my car. Getting out of Lodi was another battle and a half! Since all the roads were closed I somehow got out into the middle of nowhere and it took me two hours to find another freeway! I would see a sign that said "Sacramento next left" and every time I would pass something that wasn't the next left and I would get even more frustrated. I promise the signs left to nothing! So I finally found my way and made it back to Elk Grove in 22 minutes. UGH!

I got off at Elk Grove and went to the library. I refused to buy those awful books that my group chose. I pulled into the parking lot and saw the sign "Elk Grove City Library will be closed May 3-17". Awesome. So I was forced to buy them. I went to the dollar store first to pick up some plates and glasses because I can only wash plastic dishware for so long! I got my dishes and went to the checker and she kept breaking my glasses and sending me back to get new ones! I could have bopped her. I checked out and made my way to Borders were I was stuck behind the world's SLOWEST driver! I made it into the store, got my books, and then got a call from one of my managers saying that I needed to cancel all the appointments for Wednesday because we had an executive coming in. I tried to protest but then angrily agreed. I got my books and then went to the post office to drop off all of the mail I take to UPS on a daily basis. Finally at 4:00 I was HOME!

I canceled the appointments and did homework that was due that night and then worked on some that was due sometime this week. I picked up the first of the awful books I had to read and by page 3 I realized just why I DID NOT want to read these books! It took me 30 minutes to read the first 14 pages. This is how it went: read a page, play a game of solitaire, read a page, another game of solitaire. I gave up at page 14. Then RJ came home and the guys wanted to watch this movie. It was 10:00 and I was exhausted; I fell asleep 15 minutes into the movie. Raise your hand if you're surprised that happened....

And, after being so irritated about having to cancel the appointments Jared Young (the executive) didn't even get on his plane! He said he's coming tomorrow but I don't believe him because today was the 5th time he's done that to our office. I'm sending four people to city hall tomorrow anyway. Today has, so far, been much less stressful. Wahoo!

No comments: