Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chiropractor

So a little update on my back:

It still hurts. Some days it's so bad that I can't move. Like Sunday, for example. Sunday was a bad day. First of all, I thought I was going into labor. Not fun. I was counting contractions all throughout church, and by the end of sacrament I was having 9 (very painful) contractions an hour. My back hurt, I couldn't walk comfortably, it was awful. At every doctor's appointment they have told me to call if I have at least 4 contractions in an hour, so I naturally became panicked that Baby was coming about 5 weeks earlier than we wanted. I called the doctor after church, and he told me in his sweetest doctor's voice, "Sorry, you're not in labor. Even though your contractions are five minutes apart, they need to be three minutes apart before I can send you to the hospital. Try taking a bath." Awesome. I was in pain all day, and no amount of Tylenol or warm water was making me feel better. It was miserable.

I came up with my own, temporary, pain relief. Swimming. Despite the fact that a pregnant lady in a bathing suit is possibly one of the least attractive things in the world, I went to the pool...and it was glorious. I floated around on some noodles, and enjoyed every minute of not feeling the very heavy (I'm OBVIOUSLY not telling you the weight) basketball sitting in my stomach. The pain returned as soon as I got out of the water, but the hour in the pool was marvelous.

Today I finally went to the chiropractor. I've been waiting a week, but it was worth it. I was really nervous to go, because people are always saying bad things about chiropractors, but I was going to give it a shot. I was even more nervous though when I found out that the only appointments I could get were during RJ's classes. Drats. I had to go alone.

Turns out chiropractors aren't so scary after all. I'm also pretty sure that I'm a couple of inches taller than I was before I went in, given how much my back cracked while I was there. He didn't do a whole lot, because he said he wanted to see how just a little bit helped to ease the pain on my sciatic nerve and spine. I have three more appointments scheduled until the baby comes, and two for afterwards. Hopefully they're all as glorious.

I left feeling super happy about life again, and headed to Wal-Mart for a few things to pack in my hospital bag when some toothless woman welcomed me and then said, "Wow! Look how fat you are!" Thanks. That's what every woman likes to hear. I wanted to say, "Wow! You don't have your front teeth!" or something else that would cut her to the bone, but I smiled and said, "Oh gee....thanks for pointing that out."

Besides the toothless lady and the back pain, everything is going very well. Baby E is measuring a little over 5 pounds, and we have about 5 weeks to go. Yikes. Hopefully we don't each gain a pound a week, because I just wouldn't appreciate that. I finally caved and bought newborn sized clothing, so this baby better be able to wear it at least for a week. It's comforting to know, though, that Baby E's weight is safe and healthy and the only thing that we're waiting for is for the little lungs to finish developing. 5 weeks just doesn't seem like enough time....

I've been hooked on a few new snacks recently. Clementines, grapes in fat-free Cool Whip, and apples dipped in peanut butter. Oh man. So delicious. If you have never had any of these snacks, you need to. They'll change your life forever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha I love the toothless lady comment. So glad you follow my blog so I could find yours. Your posts are hilarious and I hope you don't think I'm a creeper!