For some reason I'm on a big cleaning-out kick. It might be considered a part of nesting, I'm not sure.
It all started when I heard about these studio apartments in Rexburg. These apartments are the dinkiest things you will ever see in your life; they're basically closets. They made me feel like a hoarder, because I knew that we had so much stuff that we would never ever be able to live in them (not that I'd ever want to).
I started looking around at all of our things, and realized that I'd been holding on to a lot that we don't need. I started posting things for sale on the student bulletin board, and I made a huge pile of things to donate to the D.I. I'm not sure if it's normal or not, but I have such an incredibly hard time getting rid of clothes. Does anyone else have that problem? No matter how long it's been since I've worn something, I can't seem to get rid of clothes. I have things in my closet that I bought in high school that I've never even worn, but that I refuse to get rid of because I keep telling myself that one day I will want to wear it. How ridiculous is that?! So embarrassing. I decided that if I can't remember the last time I've worn something, or if I've never worn it, that it needs to go. I've gotten rid of quite a few pairs of shoes, some old jackets, scarves, and random other little things. We sold our second GPS, and I even realized that we had two graphing calculators, so I sold one of those too. You'd think I would have realized all of this when I was packing up, and quite honestly I should have. Or even when we were unpacking, for crying out loud. I think that I was just so focused on packing and unpacking that I wasn't really paying attention to things. Now that everything is settled I'm going through everything with a better eye and making more room. It feels good.
I've also had some time to rearrange things in our closets just to make more room, and it's fabulous. I still have some things to move around, but it's coming along nicely. My next big project, after I finish some that I've already started, is to decorate the walls in the bedrooms. At our old place, our bedroom was so small that we really only had one wall to decorate, and even then we couldn't put too much on the wall. Well, our room here is almost double the size of our old room, and it pretty much echos when we talk because it's so empty. Yikes. I need to figure out what to do! I found this cute idea of printing out the sheet music to our song from our first dance and framing it, and I might do that. Other than that I have no idea. I also have to put some things on the wall for the Baby's room. Our old second bedroom had a wall covered in a Bob Marley flag, and much to RJ's dismay, that flag is staying folded because I won't put it up in a main room, or a bedroom. He needs a man cave.
It feels really good to be getting rid of things and reorganizing things. We still absolutely love living here. This was such a good move for us. We've made new friends, and we're saving money in heat and electric bills because of better insulated walls and carpet -always a good thing. Our bills have literally been cut in half. Uh-may-zing. I'm actually kind of sad that we'll only be here for a year. I wish we would have moved sooner. It will be nice when we move, though, because that means that RJ will be in graduate school and we'll be moving on to the next stage in our lives. Wahoo! That will be an exciting time. I can't wait to see where we're going!
Anyway, now that my post has totally changed topics....I'll get back to my main point. Cleaning house feels good, I recommend you do it if you can. Don't go crazy though, you'll regret it later. I went crazy once almost three years ago, and I'm still so sad when I think about it. Get rid of things that you don't need or use, but I really think it's okay to hold on to things with sentimental value...but don't go crazy with that, either. It's all about balance!
Disclaimer: We're not actually hoarders, I promise.
1 comment:
I can't get rid of clothes either. I have the same mentality. "But...what if I want to wear this SOMEDAY?!" Yeah. I had a roommate once who got rid of an article of clothing every time she bought something new to not hoard. Nice philosophy, but I could NEVER do that. :/
I'm so glad you are liking your new apartment! I bet that's a great feeling. :) I'm glad everything is going so well for you guys!
Post a Comment